The Felician Sisters have been in the forefront of Catholic education in the Archdiocese of Detroit for over 139 years, both in the city and the suburbs.
In the conviction of "serve where there is need," the Felician Sisters recognized the need for a Catholic High School in Western Wayne County. In response to that need, the Felician Sisters founded Ladywood High School.
Inspired by the beautiful surroundings on which the school would be built, Ladywood was named in honor of our Blessed Mother under her title Our Lady of the Woods.
On September 11, 1950, Ladywood opened its doors to 30 freshmen students and 15 sophomore students. And on June 7, 1953, Ladywood graduated its first senior class of 12 students.